Minor in Possession Aggressive & Dedicated Defense

Minor in Possession Lawyer in Lubbock, TX

Defense for Charges Related to Underage Drinking

Does someone you know face charges for underage drinking or underage DUI? Do you face charges for providing alcohol to a minor? You need to ensure that you are working with a trusted legal advocate. When your rights are at stake, you can rely on King Law, P.C.

What sets King Law, P.C. apart?

We understand that your future, educational goals, or career could be at risk. We can launch an aggressive and passionate defense to clear your name, so that you do not have to live with the lasting consequences of a criminal record. You don't have to take our word for it; you can hear from our past clients. The results also speak for themselves. On top of that,Attorney Michael King has received a Superb rating from Avvo due to proven experience.

Everyone deserves dedicated and skilled defense, and we aim to provide each of our clients with exceptional advocacy. Don't hesitate to see how we may be able to help you.

Minor in Possession Laws in Texas

If a person under the age of 21 has possession, ownership, or control of an alcoholic beverage, they can be charged with minor in possession in Texas with a few exceptions.

Texas allows exceptions for minors to possess alcohol in the following instances:

  • The minor is in the visible presence of their parent or guardian.
  • The minor is required to possess alcohol as part of their employment and their employer is licensed to sell alcohol.
  • The minor is assisting a law enforcement officer.

It is also a crime to give false identification or information in order to get alcohol.

Can You Drink Alcohol if You Are Under 21 With a Parent in Texas?

Yes, you can consume alcohol in the presence of a parent/guardian in Texas. In fact, it is even a crime for a minor to possess or handle alcohol, except in these four situations: on the job; while under supervision of parent, guardian, or adult spouse; for law enforcement purposes.

Outside of these excepted situations, minor in possession laws also prohibit adults from giving alcohol to an underage person, whether purchasing alcohol on their behalf, selling it to them, etc. In Lubbock, Texas, it is a Class A misdemeanor to furnish alcohol to a minor.

What Are the Penalties for Selling / Giving Alcohol to a Minor?

  • Up to a $4,000 fine
  • One year in jail
  • 20 to 40 hours of community service
  • A public & permanent criminal record

If a minor used deception to procure alcohol, however, you might not be held liable. For example, if your attorney can prove that a minor used a fake driver's license and there was no apparent reason to doubt it, you could get the charges against you dropped.

What Are the Penalties for Violating Minor in Possession Laws?

  • First and second convictions: Up to a $500 fine, 12 hours' community service, 30 to 60 days' license suspension—but deferred disposition might be available
  • Third and subsequent offenses: Up to a $2,000 fine and 180 days in jail

Underage drinking, or any other violation of these minor in possession laws is a Class C misdemeanor. But it may be possible, according to a judge's discretion, to avoid a conviction through a deferred disposition program, in which a judge decides to enforce license suspension and community service to rehabilitate the minor.

The community service in this case would involve alcohol school or abuse prevention. A skilled Lubbock underage drinking lawyer may be able to help you seek this option.

What Are the Penalties for a Fake ID Charge in Texas?

Generally, if someone possesses or presents a fake ID solely to misrepresent their age for the purpose of purchasing alcohol or tobacco, it may be considered a Class C misdemeanor in Texas.

However, if a person uses or possesses a fake ID with the intent to harm or defraud someone else or intentionally tampers with a government record, such offenses can range from a state jail felony to a first-degree felony, depending on the specific circumstances of the case.

Discover Your Possible Defenses

There is no such thing as a small criminal charge. If you are accused of underage drinking, it is vital that you avoid a criminal conviction going on your record. If you are charged with furnishing a minor with alcohol, your finances, freedom, and career are being threatened.At King Law, P.C., you can find the unrelenting advocacy you need. We are ready to fight for your rights and protect your future. Don't wait to find out how we can defend you.

Contact a Lubbock criminal defense lawyer today at (806) 370-7800! Get your free case evaluation to learn how you can assert your legal rights.

Proven Results

Pursuing the Best Possible Outcome
  • Dismissed Alien Transporting
  • BWI Dismissed BWI
  • Dismissed Charged with assault
  • Reduced Sentence Conspiracy to Manufacture, Possess, and Pass Counterfeit U.S. Currency
  • Reduced Sentence Conspiracy to Possess With Intent To Distribute